Friday, October 31, 2008

story time again!! hehe

ok, soo i'm into reading my old papers, this one i didn't even remember this untill i read the whole thing, its crazy how you can forget things in your life soo quickly! I just thought the last statement was reallly interesting, that how it got onto my blog! Cheers!

"My personal encounter was one I will never forget…

It was a chilly damp night in March, and I was apart of a group of Elim students bringing the Warm Light to Monroe Street. With all of my schooling information stored in my head and on my heart, and multicultural tracks in my pockets, I felt ready to take on the world!
I felt like an animal looking for its prey, seeking the meek and lost sheep.
Finally at one encounter a deeper conversation started with a man named Jimmy.
We started talking about the weather and March Madness, and then the big topic was introduced…. Jesus.
The “topic” of Jesus came into our conversation as Jimmy noticed some tracks in my hand and asked what I was holding, as he glanced over very curiously. He seemed to act in a manor of knowing everything I was talking about, but with every question it became clearer that he was a bit off to say it nicely. I asked him if he had seen the Passion, and he said no that he didn’t see it because the movie was his story. He proceeded to then tell me how he had died in 1983 and then was brought back to life after 3 days.
By then I was wearing a puzzled look on my face as I tried to regain my thoughts, and get back on track. I then told him that I thought he should go see it because he had such a strong tie to Jesus, and what He went through. He didn’t agree with me, so we moved on in our conversation.
We talked for a while longer, until I saw that the conversation wasn’t going to go anywhere because he kept trying to take over the conversation.
At one moment, when I said to myself: “this is conversation over,” he asked me a question. He said: Do you believe in the Trinity? And I said yes. Then he continued to quiz me on what each part was. Then he told me that there really were four parts, and that we were part of the Trinity, making it four.
So, I politely gathered my composure, and excused myself from Jimmy’s conversation with mainly himself, and went on my way on the streets on Rochester.
I learned a lot from my first encounter of sharing the gospel. I learned that when someone is trying to take over the conversation, that it’s a good idea to get out, because you will never win. I learned that even though you can keep bringing up the point of the conversation, and even asking them specific questions of salvation, that if they feel confident in their knowledge they will disregard your words. As if you said nothing at all.
As the night came to a close, a statement was made. “The people are rejecting Jesus not us personally.” As I chewed on that thought, I first felt good, and relieved that I wasn’t being rejected. But on the long ride back to school, it hit me. People were ready to reject a perfect man, and in return, eagerly ready to except a mere sinner who was saved. What a sad statement to end a night on…"

1 comment:

joybell said...

That is so beautiful Christina .Thank you for sharing that .Love you .........Mum